Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Saturday, June 25, 2011

I love Cedar Hills Parade Day. It's so amazingly cool to be able to walk to the end of our cul-de-sac, carting chairs or a few sleeping bags, cross the road, and have the perfect shaded viewing spot of the entire parade as it passes by.

Come on family. We have to go. Let's not even bother with chairs this year. We'll just use a sleeping bags.

Dale and I leave before anyone else is ready, but I'd like to get situated a little early. I have two dear friends in the neighborhood that I want to seek out. They are dear friends because we taught together in Primary years ago. You learn a lot about people and love them when you serve that closely with them. They deserve to hear the news directly from me.

I find Amy at the bake sale to raise funds for Jessie's cancer treatments. Amazing! Got a minute? Can we talk semi-privately? "Am I in trouble? Have I done something?" she wants to know. Hah! As if. Sorry. If only it were that easy.

Now to track down Sandi. She's still at home and doesn't realize the parade is about to start. Come on. We've got extra room for you. And even an extra sleeping bag, since Olsen's are kind enough to share their chairs with us.

The parade is great fun as candy is thrown wildy and often and small children dodge the next entry to retrieve it all. Our children now feel they're too old to bother with some of the wrapped treats and are content to leave them sit in front of them to be gathered by others or smashed into the pavement. Retrieve the peppermint hard candies and taffies, please. I anticpate them helping a nauseated stomach.

We yell support and cheer whenever we see people we know. There's our dentist; neighborhood funeral director; friends in band, cheerleading, dance troupes, and karate classes; and even an entry from the Intermountain Cancer Center. Priceless! Randy walks with that group. When he sees me, he walks over, grabs my face with two hands, and plants a kiss on my forehead. Dale, did you just see that? I just got kissed from a guy in the parade. I'm a little stunned, but know he just learned of our next battle also and appreciate the small token of support.

No comments:

Post a Comment