Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Monday - part two (PET scan)

So tired. Maybe that's good and I can sleep during part of the PET scan.

Head to AF Hospital on an empty stomach. Don't they have an express lane for people like me? Wait for registration. Head to radiology. Been there. Done that.

Get to start another IV. That's three times in six days, but who's counting? LOL

Drink some nasty cranberry flavored juice on an empty stomach (again!). I know it can be worse, so I'll do my part. Shoot radioactive sugar through the IV and rest in a semi dark room for at least 45 minutes. No moving, talking, texting, playing--just my brain and lots of time to think. Drat!

Cancer loves sugar, so only the cancer will react to the sugar and start digesting it. Everything else will be still and quiet and we can track where it is that way. I know the drill. This is at least my six or seventh PET scan in the last three years.

Lay absolutely still under the CT machine. PET scan takes about 30 minutes to process activity in every part of my body from skull to mid-thigh. No big deal. I could almost fall asleep in this trailer that's parked outside the south side of the hospital.

Inject the regular contrast liquid for the regular CT and wait another 10 minutes or so. All done.

What do the images look like? Most of the time, I can see what the medical personnel see and they show it to me. But I've never seen a PET image. I ask, and I'm shown the computer monitor.

Interesting. The only thing that I notice is a bright orange sphere at the top of my left leg where one shouldn't be. I don't really know what I'm looking at or what it should look like, but no other spheres seems like a good thing.

Only about four and half hours gone. Time to go home and work from home the rest of the day.

And hurry and wait for the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment