Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Delays for Second Bone Marrow Transplant

I'm not sure what exactly happened, but I was supposed to have started chemo already, in preparation for my second bone marrow transplant (BMT)--this time an allogeneic haplo transplant.

I do know that my sister, Tabitha, who was going to be my donor said she hadn't been medically cleared to be my donor because she'd been to places in Mexico where there are malaria concerns.

So my sister, Tressie, stepped forward--even though she absolutely is terrified of all things medical, especially hospitals and needles. And I know the BMT team at LDS Hospital told Tressie that she'd be medically cleared, even if she had been to Mexico recently.

Like I said, not sure what happened with Tabitha; but I am grateful that Tressie is willing to be tortured by medical personnel on my behalf.

BUT this all puts a damper on my schedule. I think it's by divine design though.

I feel like things will change for the worse somehow in my life. I feel like the transplant will extend my life for at least a few years (I'm hoping for 7-10), but that there will be some complications from the war between my cells and my sister's that won't be pleasant.

I was just beginning to gear up mentally to start that war when it all had to be postponed while Tressie completed the vetting process, so now I'm just anxious to get it started.

Plus, I feel like, if the transplant doesn't happen within two months of my last chemo dose, the Hodgkins will be back. My last chemo dose was December 11th, so we have a tight window that's contributing to my anxiety.

However, we have a new tentative schedule, so we should be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment