Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Friday, February 7, 2014

Maybe Too Much Optimism

So sometimes I forget how hard things are when you're fighting cancer.

I know that outcome, so I just want to focus on that and stay upbeat and positive. Everything will work out okay, so why dwell on anything else?

Well, sometimes the pains of this life intervene in my plans.

I'm sitting here, absolutely sick to my stomach. The thought of any food makes me immediately ill. And I'm throwing up violently. I feel like I did when I was seven, when all I could do after each treatment is throw up violently for about 18 hours. Yuck! Darn Fludarabine and Cytoxan.

They gave me an anti-nausea medication by IV, but I warned them that ondasetron (Zofran) doesn't do it by itself. They wanted to prove that it wasn't enough though. Drat!

And the three places where they had to cut me to place my central line are pretty painful, especially the middle one. It feels like I'm constantly being cut by a sharp knife and that knife isn't being pulled out. In fact, it's staying in and being twisted every once in while.

So I'm in pain (maybe at a level 6 for me). It's ratcheting up the pain scale as the night continues onward. But I'm nauseous and vomiting, so I don't dare take anything for the pain.

I'm not looking forward to sleeping tonight. In fact, I feel like crying and having a little pity party for myself. Darn it!

Why do things have to get so hard? They'll be better in the morning. I know that, so why isn't that enough to pull me out of my funk tonight? Why can't I continue focusing on the outcome of all this? I will be healed!

No comments:

Post a Comment