Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Monday, February 10, 2014

Sweet Letter

I received this message from someone I used to teach in Sunday School in my last ward (over ten years ago). I think I taught the youth in Sunday School the entire time I was in that ward (about seven years).

Hello Trisha!

I've been meaning to write you for some time now, but for one reason or another I seem to have kept putting it off.

First of all, I would like to truly thank you for your wonderful example. We all go through trials in our lives. Some of us lose faith and ask, why me?. However, others face their challenges head on with courage, never losing faith in our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. You seem to me to be the latter. Two words come to my mind that describe how you seem to have faced the myriad of trials you have been called to bear: faithful and valiant.

Interestingly enough, those words also describe some of the key characteristics you instilled in me many years ago as my sunday school teacher. Although I have not been perfect, I have always remembered Trish Turner standing in front of a curious, querulous, know-it-all class and teaching us to look unto Christ in every thought, and to be faithful and valiant in all that we did. Teaching such a rowdy group of young boys may not have been your cup of tea, but I assure you that it meant the world to me. It is a lesson that I tried to teach as a missionary; it is also a lesson that my wife and I now hope to instill in our children. Thank you for that.

Also, it has been an almost daily inspiration to me as I have read some of your posts to see that you still continue to live what you taught us years ago. In my opinion, that is the definition of a true teacher. Again, thank you.

I want you to know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. Kourtney and I wish you the very best and hope that you and Bro. Howard are able to keep on keepin' on.

Warmest regards,

Matt

I'm so glad that I can help in spreading the message of the gospel somehow! It means the world to me that he remembers some of the things that I tried to live and instill. I can keep on keeping on if it helps or makes a difference to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment