Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Friday, August 24, 2012

The Chemo Plan and First Dose

So here's the plan for using Adcetris (brentuximab vedotin):

* Starting today, every three weeks, for a maximum of 16 doses (16x3=48 weeks, almost a year. I hope we don't go that long) until the maximum effect is reached (Hodgkins is gone or reaches a plateau and is no longer reducing.)

* We'll start the infusion with Benadryl. Even though the literature doesn't call for it, Dr. Wendy wants to ensure that I don't have some sort of allergic reaction to the drug. (Uh oh. That stuff knocks me out--hard!)

* We'll also infuse Zofran (an anti-nausea medication).

* We'll repeat CT scans every 2 doses to measure any progress.

* It should be a kinder and more gentle chemo than I've ever had before because it's specifically targeting Hodgkins cells. Of course, there will be some collateral damage along the way.

It's all pretty standard information to me. When Kathy comes to walk through what to expect and answer any questions, she has a copy of the Adcetris patient pamphlet (which I've already read on the Web). She doesn't have any other information for me because it's so new and no one in Utah County that she knows of has ever used it.

The Benadryl takes about an hour to infuse; the Zofran takes another 30 minutes. Finally we're ready for the good stuff (or is that bad stuff). The Adcetris takes another 30 minutes.

Dale and I are playing cribbage (our standard chemo activity), but that darn Benadryl is really messing with my head. I can't concentrate anymore. All I want to do is sleep.

Even though we came to Dr. Wendy's at 9:30 this morning and the chemo takes only 30 minutes to infuse, we don't leave her office until almost 2 p.m. Whew! I guess times really flies when you're having fun. (I need to redefine what having fun is in my life!)

When we get home, Dale's trying to plan meals for the weekend. However, while trying to answer one question, I've fallen asleep--sometimes in the middle of a word--about 10 times. He gives up and lets me sleep.

Darn that Benadryl! I want to see if we can try the chemo without it next time. How am I supposed to work from home if I can't stay awake?

So next chemo appointment is Wednesday, September 12 at 9:40 a.m. One day--or dose--at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Way to look at it...one day/dose at a time. I'm sorry Benedryl kicks your bum. At least you got some rest ;)

    ReplyDelete