Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Friday, August 31, 2012

Pulmonary Embolism Scare

It's funny. I did change my medications. The nausea is much better, and the burning in my stomach is down to a level that I can function again. I'm feeling a little better and it's been only 1.5 days since the changes. Surely, I'm going to feel even better after another day or two.

In fact, I feel so much better that I'm back at work.

Then I get a call from Kathy. She's just checking on me to see how I'm doing. When I tell her I'm feeling better--enough so that I can function without tears again, I expect her to end the call. But she doesn't.

Apparently, Dr. Wendy is now concerned that I feel so terrible. She knows that I had pulmonary embolisms in the past from the chemo or the port or some combination of the two, and she wants to ensure that I don't have any again.

Can I be to the Central Utah Clinic imaging department in American Fork in twenty minutes? No, I'm at work in downtown Salt Lake. Okay, can I get there before they close--around 4:15? Yes, that I can do if Dale can leave work 30 minutes early.

Giggling, Kathy warns me not eat or drink anything in the next 45 minutes as I'm racing off to the scan. It's supposed to be fasting scan. Oh well.

We make it to the clinic on time, have the CT scan, and are told that we can wait in the office for the results or go home and Dr. Wendy's office will call with the results. I know what that means. It's code for the technicians didn't see anything alarming, so they'll let me leave while the radiologist reviews it. It's a pretty good sign, so we opt to leave.

When we haven't heard anything from Dr. Wendy's office by 5:30, I pick up the phone to call. It rings in my hand. It's Kathy. No PEs. No real explanation for why I feel so tired, but just take care of myself and be alert for any changes.

Okay. Check and check!

No comments:

Post a Comment