Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Friday, August 10th

Had the PET scan today at the Huntsman Cancer Hospital. (I didn't know such an entity even existed.)

It's a beautiful building tucked into the northeast corner of the Salt Lake City mountains--up above the U of U Hospital and Primary Children's Medical Center. I had to turn around only four times while getting there though because all of the signs are confusing.

This was either the 9th or 10th PET scan I've had in the past four years. I think I need some new hobbies!

Nothing too much to note, except I like PET scans there instead of at American Fork Hospital. AF has a traveling semi trailer that houses their PET scans and the trailer is always too hot or too cold, depending on the season. And Huntsman doesn't do oral or IV contrast for suspected lymphoma, while AF does both. I can deal with less contrast in my life.

Only downside is that AF knows me so well that they'll show me the pictures so I have a good idea of what areas lit up (show active cancer) during the scan. No such luck with Huntsman. Just a "Your doctor will have the results by this evening and you'll hear from them probably within 48 hours."

Now the waiting begins. Oh, how I hate the waiting. I wonder how much time total I've spent in my life waiting for the results from various tests to see 1) if I have cancer, 2) where it's at THIS time, and 3) what treatement we're going to try next.

I left work a little early and visited Dr. Wendy's office, just to see if I could get answers today instead of Monday. I think I gave Dr. Wendy the wrong impression during my last visit. She told me the results of the CT were back on Friday and she almost called me, but she thought I deserved to have a good weekend without knowing that the scan showed a lump at the top of my right leg. (Like I didn't know that and hadn't felt it myself for about the last six weeks.)

Alas, Huntsman won't have the results finalized until Monday. So the waiting continues all through the weekend. Drat!

No comments:

Post a Comment