Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Feeling Like Crud!

I'm so tired. I'm in so much pain. My stomach has a fire burning across it almost constantly. I don't ever remember feeling like this from chemo--especially from a chemo that's supposed to be kinder and gentler.

Okay, I give up. I won't ignore all of this crud any longer. I've got to find out what's causing it and how to fix it.

* Nausea? The promethazine and zofran (ondansestron) combination really isn't working. It just knocks me out, so surely we can try something else. Check, I have a plan of attack.

* Low energy? Maybe my blood counts are really, really low and that's why I'm so lethargic. Fine. We can test that from a quick blood draw from my port. Check.

* Bone pain? Oh yes. There's some secret combination of drugs that's supposed to help that, but I can't remember what it is. I know who to ask though. Check.

* Stomach pain? Think Trish. What's causing my gut to be on fire? Hmmmm. Wonder if there's anything I can do for bowel trouble? Check.

Those are the biggies. Now I have an action plan for each of them, so I go hobbling into Dr. Wendy's office and ask to speak to Kathy. After talking with her through each item, I've convinced them to check my blood cell counts, order a different antiemetic, reveal the combination of one Claritin and one Aleve every 12 hours for bone pain (who would ever guess that it's that combination that helps bone pain the most?), and recommend four different things to try for tummy troubles.

I'm feeling better just knowing that we're going to try some different things and that I don't have to live with all of this bothersomeness anymore.

After about 10 minutes of waiting for the results of the blood counts, I'm not so sure. They're great--even just a bit high (but not concerningly so).

Now what? I guess it's time to go home, change to the new medications, and see what life has next on its agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment