Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Radiation Begins

After taking a few scans, making a foam mold of my lower half so I can lay in it and position my body in the exact same way every time, adding tiny black stickers to my body (because I beg not to be permanently tattooed), and a few follow up appointments with more scans, we're finally ready to begin radiation on Thursday, April 18.

Hooray! Initially, I was told that it would take at least 2-3 weeks before we began, but it's been only a week and we're starting. Hooray!

It will take 20 sessions, so I'm scheduled to finish on May 15.

Every day I drive to Provo, walk in the side door, wait in a separate back waiting room (where I never see anyone else) until one of the technicians comes for me, walk into the leaded radiation room, drop my pants (while they hold a small cloth in front of me for modesty), get positioned on the narrow table, wait for the 2-3 technicians to finalize all the tiny alignments with those stickers, watch the technicians leave and close the heavy leaded door behind them, wait approximately 11 seconds while the machine hums over me, count off another 30 seconds or so while the machine spins around my body so that it's now positioned under me, and count off a final 8 seconds for the last part of the radiation is delivered preciously where it needs to go.

Then it's a quick hop off the table, get fully dressed again, and I'm free to go again until it's time to repeat the process.

Tomorrow, same time, same place, every weekday until 20 treatments are finished.

It's not hard, difficult, or even that time consuming. The side effects are very minimal--just some redness that feels like a minor sunburn. I start applying Radiaguard (a lotion) about the fourth or fifth day, 2-3 times a day, and its works great.

It's the drive between Cedar Hills and Provo every weekday that quickly gets old. Oh well. If it prevents the Hodgkins from coming back, it's definitely worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment