Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Monday, April 8, 2013

No Dr. Jay This Time

I decide to go into work on Monday morning, because I agreed to cover for my team. Cancer or not, I'm a person of my word.

While I'm at work, I'm trying to navigate how to set up radiation appointments.

So Corrine from Dr. Jay's office is back in the office and relays this unfortunate news: since we now have Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance, Dr. Jay isn't a covered provider for them. He's only an IHC (SelectHealth/SelectMed) provider, so I need to contact the nearest radiation oncologist--in Provo!

I immediately put in a call to the Radiation Oncology department at Central Utah Clinic in Provo and leave a message.

About 11:00 am, I haven't heard back from Provo, so I call again. Finally I get through to the receptionist who tells me that the soonest that she can fit me in is Friday afternoon. Really? Are you kidding me? I know how scheduling goes and know that there is room in their schedule sometime before Friday.

The waiting game is the worst part for me. When you know you have a serious medical condition and you know what the next step is, why do you have to wait for it?

I decide I can't handle waiting, so I call the receptionist on her statement. "Really? There are no possible appointment times from Monday afternoon until Friday afternoon? With two doctors in the office? Are they on vacation? At a conference? Surely, we can take the next step without having to wait until Friday? I know how this goes. This will be my third time getting radiation and it's my fourth time dealing with Hodgkins lymphoma. Isn't there something we can do to move things along?"

She bristling a little, but then starts explaining that Dr. McAllister first needs a referral from Dr. Wendy. Then, he needs time to receive all of my records and time to review them, so Friday is probably the first chance he'll have to get everything he needs.

"It's okay; I understand what you're telling me. What can I do to speed up the process? I'll hang up now and make sure Dr. Wendy's office calls you immediately. What else? What records does Dr. McAllister need? I'll get them and hand deliver them to your office if it will help."

So finally acquiesces that if they get the referral call and if they get my medical records faxed over from Dr. Wendy, she can fit me in on Wednesday. Whew! One obstacle down.

No comments:

Post a Comment