Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Setting Up a Radiology Appointment

Now that the Hodgkins is gone--again--I need radiation--again--to try and prevent those lymph nodes from getting cancer in the future. It's a way to try and stop the Hodgkins from returning (because it tries to return in the last spot it was in).

After lots of phone calls to check with Dr. Jay's IHC office, our insurance company (Blue Cross/Blue Shield), and Central Utah Clinic in Provo, I'm finally able to determine that I have to drive down to Provo for radiation, so I call to make that appointment.

It's a good thing that I'm used to standing up for myself because Dr. McAllister's receptionist tries to tell me it will be at least a week before he can see me.

I'm not willing to wait an entire week unless I absolutely have to.

What's the delay? He doesn't have a spare 30 minutes anywhere in his schedule within the next four working days?

Well, he likes to get and review all the information from previous scans, radiation treatments, and the referral from the oncologist before that first appointment. I can understand that, so what if I pick up all the information he needs and bring it to his office?

So I head to Salt Lake City and drive to the UofU hospital where the PET scan results from Huntsman are kept, find my summary statements from Mott's Children's Hospital at the UofMichigan from when I was 7, and stop by Dr. Jay's office for my radiation records from them.

Then I drive to Provo and hand deliver everything to Kathy.

I've been around the block a few times; I know how medical things work; and I know how to speed them up.

Amazingly, Dr. McAllister can now see me on Monday, April 15 at 1:00 pm.

Whew! It's like I have to beg for the treatments I know that I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment