Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

It's been three days of dealing with a crampy stomach and a violently ill stomach any time I'm forced to think about food. Not fun!

Now, I have to eat at least 1,000 calories or we have to start TPN (IV nutrition). I haven't been doing so well because the calorie counts from the last two days were in the 500s. So an order for half TPN is written. Because I know my body and its limits, I plead for just one more day. Every day away from chemo gets easier and easier. I really think I can choke down 1,000 calories if I work at it.

We're basically playing a waiting game now. Wait to see if the minerals for my heart will correct themselves because, lately, my potassium, calcium, and magnessium levels are all over the board.

Wait to see if any of the stem cells are starting to graft in so blood counts will rise. Currently, I have absolutely no white blood cells in my body. 0.0. Eeerie, huh?

Wait to see if any of these slight temperature spikes can be cultured and treated by a specific antibiotic, antivirus, or antifungal.

At first I was told that I'd probably start feeling better on Friday. Now, it seems that bar has been moved to Monday. Oh well.

We're getting really close to the point where those stem cells should be putting on their big girl panties and joining reality. Now we wait.

And as we wait, I'm reminded how grateful I am for Priesthood Blessings, for prayers, and caring friends and neighbors. There are lots of other patients who are really miserable. They can't find the right combination of anti-nausea medications that work for them, and they're battling serious infections with no immune system. I've been so blessed to experience just the tiniest, nth, degree of what it could have been, but isn't, for me. Thank you, Heavenly Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment