Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

So my blood counts came in fast and furious. The second day was something like 14,000 neutrophils and they just kept escalating from there. So, I got to leave the hospital last Thursday--a day shy of staying there three weeks. Not bad! They said to plan on at least three weeks, more like four; and I wasn't even in there three. Yahoo! Thanks for all the prayers!

I was discharged with my central line still in place (boo!) and on oxygen (double boo!). Why is is that my lungs always want to join the party late? Don't they know I have places to be and things to do?

Now BMT wants me to see a radiation oncologist to see if radiation might be helpful. What's the point? There's no cancer on the PET scan. Now we've entirely killed off my bone marrow and done a second round of high-dose chemo after that PET scan. And NOW you want to talk about possible radiation? I don't get it. I guess we'll go to the consult and see what they have to say, but I can't see how they're going to convince me to go through more torture after I'm supposed to be healing from it all.

I had a follow up appointment with BMT yesterday. They're not very happy that I've lost about eight pounds since being discharged. That makes me very happy, but they're saying it's the wrong time to lose weight. When you weigh about twice what you're supposed to, how can any time be the wrong time to lose weight? Another question that just doesn't make sense to me, but I promised I'd do my best to eat better.

It's hard to eat when your stomach is constantly flip flopping. What sounds good one moment makes me gag the next. And I keep hitting a point with any food where I'm done, I've had enough. If I try to force more down my stomach, we're all going to be in trouble. I don't understand this, and I don't know how long it might last; but it makes eating a greater challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment