Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sunday, August 14, 2001

I'm sitting on the couch, visiting with our oldest son, when the doorbell rings. Travis goes to answer it. When the door opens, I think it's strange because I hear a few different voices in the background. I assume it's a group of his friends and don't think much of it until Travis hesistantly says, "Trish, it's for you."

Really? Who could be coming to visit me on a Sunday evening--unannounced?

I head towards the front door to see our entire front lawn covered with people--mostly women, some children, and two men--from the ward. And what's even more amazing is they're all wearing various shades of purple: shirts, dresses, hair bows, and purple ribbons tied everywhere.

It's such an amazing sight that I stop breathing for a few seconds. What an amazing display of support, concern, and love. I want to stand on the front porch, absorbing it all for a few minutes. However, I'm almost immediately herded into the middle of the pack for a picture and surrounded by such good friends.

What a blessing! I was looking around closely during Sacrament Meeting today, realizing that I wouldn't have a chance to see everyone for at least six weeks, and it was an overwhelmingly sobering and emotional thought. Now, here most of those whom I identified as missing the most are gathered together AND wearing purple.

After the pictures, things are being handed to me so fast that I can barely hold them all. So many things, so much love. Tears start streaming down my face without invitation.

So many cards--most of them in purple envelopes! Food: clam chowder, cucumber sandwiches, chicken alfredo, homemade bread. Treats: chocolate chip cookies, ginger snaps, Maddie's specialty, buttery concoctions that she added food coloring to to make purple (what else?). Books and bath salts.

And so many hugs! If you ever want to be bathed in love, just leave it to the members of the Cedar Hills 4th Ward! I would never have dreamed up such an outpouring, but it was perfect--absolutely perfect. Thank you to all who participated. You touched my soul and reminded me, once again, that I am not alone in this battle.

I hope to post pictures soon from the gathering, but I just couldn't wait any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment