Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Perfect Storm - Finale

I call St. Mark's medical records department in the morning, to warn them that I'm going to need copies (pictures) of the caratid ultrasound, CT scans, and PFTs that I've had done. I'm told that they can't do anything until I'm there in person because I have to sign a release form. Anticipating this need, I've already signed a full release of all medical records from St. Mark's to UofU and back. However, that's not good enough for St. Mark's, or at least the woman in medical records that I spoke with. Even though it will be several CDs worth, nothing can be done or started until I'm there in person.

Okay, fine. We'll deal with that later and head off to UofU for a transesaphageal echocardiogram (TEE).

After some squawking from the TEE technician (maybe I'm getting too keyed up around all these medical personnel, and am too familiar with what's going to happen next), I finally convince him that I'm not going to Versed and goes off to get the radiologist to perform the test.

In the end, I do agree to some Versed to help control my gag reflex, but not enough to knock me out.

Then, I have about two hours before my next procedure is scheduled at UofU, so I head to St. Mark's to see if I can get the CDs with all of my test results on it.

Over the phone this morning, I asked where medical records is located but was told I'd be directed there after I arrived at the hospital. I inquire at the front Information desk and am directed past the coffee area in the cafeteria, down a long hallway, to the last door on my right.

Hooray! I'm finally in medical records and we can get some action going. I have a good idea of how much information I'm asking for. In fact, I ask the girl at the desk if she can call down and have them start copying files while I fill out the release of information form.

     "How long will it take to copy everything?"
     "It will be about 15 minutes, if you'll just have a seat."

Great. I have about 90 minutes before my next appointment at UofU; that will give us a lot of time to get the records and drive back to the U.

The girl answers her phone, listens, and then announces to me, "You have a lot of records to copy, so it will probably take 20 minutes and not 15 to copy them."

No problem. That still leaves plenty of time.

So Dale and I wait, and wait. Another gentlemen comes and asks for some records. About 10 minutes later, someone comes to the room with his records in an envelope and he gets to leave. And we wait some more.

     "Any idea how much longer on my records?"
    Another call and "About 15 minutes more."
    After about 30 more minutes, I inquire at the desk, "Can you call and see how much longer it's going to be?"
     "Sure." There's a call, and the response, "She says it should be about 15 minutes."
     "Really? Because 30 minutes ago, we were given that same answer. We still need 15 more minutes? So no progress has been made in the past 15 minutes?"
     "You requested a lot of records, ma'am. I'm sure she's doing her best."
     "Okay. Well could we wait closer to wherever the magical records are being copied? That way, we don't have to wait for her to walk them over or up or down or wherever she is and we can leave sooner. Now I'm getting worried about my other appointment at the U that's supposed to be in 30 minutes."
     "No, I can't send you over where she is; and I can't tell you where she is. She's busy copying your files and will be here when they're ready." However, she lets slip that the magical file room is near Radiology.
     "Fine. I'm going over by Radiology to wait there."

When I get to Radiology, I notice the same receptionist sitting at the front desk that was there when I had the carotid artery ultrasound and CT and then got my port flushed and PFTs the next day. Hopefully, she'll recognize me and be able to help speed this process along.

     "Hi, I'm having some records copied to disks. Can you call the lady that's copying them and see how much longer it will be?"
     Another call and "She's going as fast as she can and has no way to judge how much longer it will take."
     That's an honest answer at least. "Does she know how far along she is? Like 50% or 75%?"
     "Just a moment," a pause in the telephone conversation and then, "She's about 65% finished."
     "I'm going to be late for an appointment at the U that she knew about. I've been waiting for about 75 minutes now and she thinks she's 65% finished? What can we do to speed this along?"
     "I'm sorry. You're just going to have to wait."
    
By this time, I've got 5 minutes until my appointment at the U, so I call Sally to let her know the fiasco I'm experiencing. No big deal, Sally assures me, but can I be there in the next 30 minutes.

30 minutes still gives me a little wiggle room. Maybe those files will magically speed up and be finished in the next 10 minutes so I can take them with me. I sit down to wait again.

About 8 minutes go by when. . .I'm not kidding. . .all the lights in the entire Radiology department go off. There's no power, at least in that part of the hospital.

I'm immediately on my feet and back at the Radiology reception desk.

     "Hi. Can you call the records department and ask them if this power outtage affects my records being copied?"
     "Sure." Then, "Yes, the power outtage stopped the records halfway, so she's going to need to start over."

Forget it. If the other signs weren't obvious enough (switching doctors on me without notice, registration problems galore, not flushing my port, not being able to correctly measure my height, and not allowing me access to my own records in a timely manner), and now the power completely shuts down?

Not only will I not be using St. Mark's services or allow them to touch me again for any medical procedure--yet alone the valve transplant, I now vow that I will never step foot inside their hospital ever again.

Message finally received. It's as if the hand of God reached down and personally said, "Thou shalt not go here."

********************After note***************
I did get a personal phone call from Steve Bateman, CEO of St. Mark's Hospital. When he heard all of the hassle I had to endure and then the last straw of the power going out, he's the one who said "I'm not trying to be insensitive, but it's almost humorous. It's like the perfect storm went off just on you."

Yep. Even though I have his personal cell phone number and an offer to meet me personally at the door the next time I'm at the hospital,  I will never step foot inside your hospital again.

Good-bye St. Mark's. Hello U of U.

No comments:

Post a Comment