Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

CT Scans and Contrast

It's the day before my CT scan is scheduled, so I have to pick up oral contrast to drink tonight and tomorrow morning before the scan.

On my drive over to Central Utah Clinic's (CUC) Imaging Department, I start thinking about all of the radiologic scans I've had for cancer over the years, lymphangiograms, CT scans, PET scans. I'll bet the numbers are starting to approach 100 (or at least it feels that way to me). That's a lot of contrast that my body has had to deal with.

Every time I have a scan, the technologists seem surprised that I'm not diabetic yet, like my body (pancreas, kidneys, and liver mostly) hasn't started refusing to work properly because of everything it's been subject to so far.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, it seems like I was told in the last month or so that my liver enzymes weren't quite normal in a recent blood count and I should start watching that.

Now, I'm a little paranoid about the amount of contrast that I've been pouring into my body; and I'm on the way to pick up two more bottles of the stuff? Not to mention the IV contrast they'll also shoot through my port?

And there's no accounting for body type or size in the contrast they hand you. "CT Scan of the abdomen? Here, drink these two bottles." It didn't matter if I had the scans done when I weighed 231 pounds or now that I'm down to 164 pounds. They want me to pour the same amount of junk into my body and let my kidneys and liver fight to filter it out. That just doesn't seem right.

I arrive at the Imaging Department a little ticked off at Central Utah Clinic's protocols. Huntsman Cancer Institute in Salt Lake City doesn't use any contrast--oral or IV--for PET scans, which are even more detailed than CT scans, because their radiologists have realized the contrast doesn't improve the quality of the pictures enough to justify the potential havoc it can wreak on already-weakened bodies.

So I ask to speak to the radiologist at CUC. Surely, they've got to give some on the amount of contrast they demand when considering my body and all it's been through.

I'm politely told that the radiologist is in a procedure with another patient and they don't usually talk to patients anyway. It's okay. I'm determined. I'll wait. Exasperated by my stubbornness to be heard, the receptionist goes to find a technician that will talk to me. I can hear part of their interchange as I wait at the desk.

"I'll go talk to her. The radiologist is busy."
"Yeah, good luck with that."

So I start telling the technologist that I'm worried about pouring more contrast into my body when it's obviously been through so much already, and that there's no consideration for body type or mass taken into account when handing out contrast.

"You're a male, professional defensive linebacker who's 6'5" and 350 pounds? Great. Drink these two bottles of contrast." "You're a female cancer patient who's 5'0" and 164 pounds? Great. Drink these two bottles of contrast."

Then, and only then am I offered a different style of contrast. One that doesn't take the body 4-5 days to break down, just a couple hours, and one that doesn't have any known side affects or possibility of damaging bodies. I just need to arrive tomorrow morning an hour earlier so I can drink it in the office.

Why aren't patients made aware of the choices they have unless they really push back--hard!--at what's being asked of them?

I arrive the next morning an hour earlier and am asked to drink about half of the volume of what those two bottles of contrast contained. I still leave about a swallowful of the new contrast in the bottom of the glass, just on principle! But I'm pleasantly surprised to find that this new contrast tastes much better. No chalky, milky stuff that I'm afraid my body is conditioned to gag on by now. Instead, it's almost a translucent tart substance.

So I didn't convince them not to give my any contrast, but at least we found a less dangerous and less volume (that still isn't based on my body type or size) compromise.

It pays to speak up and advocate for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment