Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Thursday, April 19, 2012

March 22, 2012

It's Thursday, March 22. I've been tugging, pulling, and carrying supplemental oxygen tanks around EVERYWHERE for the past 7 months. It even has to accompany me to job interviews, and I know I've lost one possible opportunity because writing that company's manuals requires me to visit various job sites and record what happens. I just can't wheel or lug oxygen easily over rough terrain for a half mile or more, and we both realize it. Darn it!

However, I realize today that I feel stronger and can breathe a little easier. I think it's time for an experiment, so I remove the nasal cannula and go about my daily business.

I keep checking my O2 saturation levels every 30 minutes or so with a portable oximeter, and each time the numbers are over 90. Hallelujah! It might FINALLY be time to say adios to that meddlesome cannula.

Since my numbers continue to stay strong throughout the day, I'm hopeful that I'm through with the supplemental oxygen crud.

I keep using the oxygen at night because it's often harder to breathe while sleeping than while active, but everything still looks good; and I'm feeling stronger. Hooray!

Finally, after starting supplemental oxygen around the end of August 2011, the medical supply company comes and picks it all up--only about 8 months later! I'm just so thrilled to be rid of it.

The chemo I had as part of the bone marrow transplant is known to cause lung toxicities in some people. Because my lungs are already damaged and weak, I figured that those lung toxicities would, for sure!, affect my lungs and probably keep me on oxygen the rest of my life.

It's not so. Good-bye supplemental oxygen. I won't miss you. Hello, another tender mercy from the Lord!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! I am so happy for you. It will be nice to leave the tank at home!

    ReplyDelete