Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Fourth Adcetris Dose

Guess I'm going to find out what we're going to do without a port today.

I know the oncology nurses are the best at finding veins, but can they really find even mine?

Hmmmm.

First step, draw blood work. Second poke and we have venous access for blood work and an IV started. Hooray! Not bad at all.

I wait about twenty minutes when Breanna announces she has terrible news for me. Oh no! Now what? Oh this one is easy. My blood hemolyzed (cells broke apart) so they need to poke a fresh vein and try to draw blood with cells that will stay together.

One stick later and one vial later, we're in business again. Hooray for exceptionally talented nurses who aren't afraid of being around what-sometimes-feels-like-we're-radioactive patients!

Apparently, there's a nation-wide shortage of IV Benadryl, so we get to skip that step entirely. Cool. No loopy sleep time for me today.

They hang Zofran, then Emend (both anti-nausea medications), and finish with Adcetris.

This is actually seeming easy today. Yahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment