Purple Everywhere

Purple Everywhere
Daily Herald picture

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Second Chemo Dose

That Neupogen worked! I guess all of those early morning drives to get injected were worth it.

I'm actually given the second chemo dose on Tuesday, September 18, after a quick blood draw indicated my cell levels were high enough.

I've realized that the only thing worse than getting chemo is needing it but not being able to get it because of low blood counts.

This time, they can give me one Neulasta shot if I come back tomorrow. Neulasta is like Neupogen; it's just the long-lasting type of growth cell stimulating factor (GCSF).

Because I have enough time scheduled between doses (at least 15 days), I qualify for Neulasta and not every day shots of Neupogen. I guess the insurance companies have really balked at paying for these drugs. Neulasta is easily over $1,000 per shot. The manufacturer claim it works best if given 24 hours after chemo and at least 15 days before chemo, so that narrow window cuts down on the amount of people that can get it.

Lucky me. No more early morning drives for a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment